Skip to main content

The blogger behind this blog


In response to the blog tag challenge









By Masachi Mochida via Flickr

[CC BY-NC-ND 2.0]

I’ve been tagged. Twice. In a blog challenge the idea of
which is to post 11 random facts about oneself, answer 11 questions posted by
the blogger who tagged you and then pass the baton by posting 11 questions and
tagging 11 other bloggers. Why 11 - I have no idea. If it had been up to me I’d
have gone for 13 (since it’s 2013) like last year’s Adam Simpson’s 12 of 2012 blog challenge (see HERE).






Anyhow, I’ve been tagged this week by both Rachael Roberts who named me as one of her 11 favourite bloggers (by the way, it’s
mutual) and KathyFagan, whose blog I am less familiar with (but it’s going to change!) and
who, unlike Rachael, I haven’t met. Thank you both.  So here we go…





11 Random facts about me









My latest creations:

White Lady and Fuzzy Navel


  1. I like making salads.

  2. I’ve recently taken up cocktail-making as a hobby. I think
    it’s a hobby that provides a lot of health benefits in the form of Vitamin C -
    I normally use one freshly squeezed lemon per cocktail. 

  3. At the moment I am addicted to TripAdvisor

  4. Contrary to what many people believe, I go to TESOL France
    every year at my own expense. Last year it fell on my birthday, and I threw a pre-conference birthday party where I met for the first time lots of fellow
    ELT bloggers / tweeters.

  5. I don’t like okra but otherwise I eat just about everything.

  6. Every Thursday night I go to art openings and then complain
    about how bad the wine/free food was.

  7. I refused to join Facebook for a few years until my friends
    had signed a “petition” and collected more than 30 signatures. I joined it on
    my birthday a few years ago and immediately had 30+ Facebook friends.

  8. I’ve flown by plane 165 times –50 or so times out of which
    in the last 3 years.

  9. As a child I used to think Alfred Hitchcock was Alfred
    Hedgehog.

  10. I don't like Skype

  11. Before my career in TEFL I used to work in tourism in various roles: Rep,
    tour guide, travel agent and incentive travel consultant








At an art opening in pyjamas (because it was across the road)






11 questions asked by Rachael and Kathy





Since both Rachael and Kathy tagged me I am taking the
liberty here and answering a mix of both their questions. The first five
questions were posted by Kathy and questions 6 to 11 are Rachael’s (the numbers
of the questions are as they appeared in their lists)





1. What is one book, blog post, article, presentation, or
research paper that really changed how you think about teaching?  How?


This one is a no-brainer. The Lexical Approach (1993) by Michael
Lewis without any doubt. I was thrilled to finally meet Michael Lewis in person
at the Lexical conference in London earlier this year and honoured to edit two
publications dedicated to the 20th anniversary of the book: ETAI Forum and Pilgrim's online magazine Humanising Language Teaching. If you still haven’t seen it: you can find it HERE.





2. Which season of the year do you like the best?  Why?


Another easy one: summer. In my case it starts about
mid-July and lasts till about mid-October. Three months of doing (almost)
nothing, lying on the beach and travelling.





3. How many languages (other than English) can you use at
high beginning or higher?  If any, what are they?


French, Greek, Hebrew, Russian. Readers of this blog may
have figured that out already as I use a lot of examples from these languages. It
has to be noted that my interlanguage in most of these fluctuates a lot since I am a fast learner and fast forgetter. I also used to speak some
Spanish but currently it as regressed to a beginner level.





4. The bartender says "What'll it be?"  What
is it?


Don’t trust bartenders anymore (see Random Fact #2). So it would be
just a pint of lager or Long Island Iced Tea – because you can’t really go
wrong with it.





5. What is the most recent musical performance you have
attended?


I think it was Pet Shop Boys' recent tour Electric.It is also the only
artist I have seen live twice in my life – in different countries. 





6 What was your first paid job?


I was conducting phone interviews and collecting
preliminary data about job applicants for a project at Ernst & Young.





7 What five famous people would you invite to a dinner
party, and why?


A tough one, this one. I’d really have to think hard. Am I
allowed to include dead people? Then perhaps Alfred Hitchcock (for his wit), Helen Mirren (she’s fantastic and if she declines Dame Judy Dench).
Musicians: George Michael or Neil Tennant (Pet Shop Boys) - again depending on the availability. Is it five already?
Oh and the former director of advertising at Benetton responsible for some of the most powerful and controversial ad campaigns in the
past 20 years.


Definitely no politicians – past or present!





8 What’s the first website you check/go on each day? Why?


Facebook. For the fear of missing out  (FOMO). But then again, I don’t watch the news
/ read the papers so I get my news updates through the Facebook feed.





9 What can you remember about the first class you ever
taught?


There were 16 people, sitting in 4 groups of 4.The class was
very mixed ranging from Intermediate to Pre-Advanced and I still remember some
of their names. I was using an OHP and after the usual introductions and get to
know activities we did a unit from True Colors. It went well, I think.





10 Flowers or chocolates?


Neither. Wine please!





11 How do you feel about reality TV shows?


I generally don’t watch TV – but like a good TVseries every now
and then





11 bloggers



I tried not to tag the same people my taggers (nor their
taggers!) have included in their lists. The ones below haven't been tagged, as far as I'm aware, and I highly recommend checking out their blogs:


             Blogger  -  Link to their blog




  1. Henrick OpreaDoing Some Thinking

  2. Luiz Otavio Barros – Think ELT

  3. Willy Cardoso – Authentic Teaching

  4. Vicky LorasVicky Loras Blog

  5. Jonathan
    Sayers
    - ELT +
    Technology

  6. Ian James - TEFLTecher

  7. Mura NavaEFL Notes

  8. Chia Suan ChongChia Suan Chong

  9. Steve Muirallatc

  10. Divya MadhavanDivya Madhavan

  11. Christina
    Rebuffet-Broadus
    - iLOVEtefl





11 questions for other bloggers







  1. What is your favourite level to teach?

  2. If you had the time to blog about something other than
    education / ELT what would it be?

  3. What takes you longer: writing a blog post or inserting
    hyperlinks into it?

  4. What is the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?

  5. A phone call or text message? Why?

  6. Cats or dogs? (No need to explain why)

  7. If you were a fruit what would you be?

  8. What kind of jokes do you like?

  9. What’s your favourite computer font?

  10. What present would you like to receive for your next
    birthday? (that is if you celebrate birthdays)

  11. Why do you think almost every blogger in this chain
    challenge has asked a question about reality TV shows?



Thanks. It was fun.



UPDATE: As I was writing this, Vicky Loras, who I included in my list of 11 bloggers, tagged me too. What a coincidence!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Benefits Of Healthy eating Turmeric every day for the body

One teaspoon of turmeric a day to prevent inflammation, accumulation of toxins, pain, and the outbreak of cancer.  Yes, turmeric has been known since 2.5 centuries ago in India, as a plant anti-inflammatory / inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and also have a good detox properties, now proven to prevent Alzheimer's disease and cancer. Turmeric prevents inflammation:  For people who

Women and children overboard

It's the  Catch-22  of clinical trials: to protect pregnant women and children from the risks of untested drugs....we don't test drugs adequately for them. In the last few decades , we've been more concerned about the harms of research than of inadequately tested treatments for everyone, in fact. But for "vulnerable populations,"  like pregnant women and children, the default was to exclude them. And just in case any women might be, or might become, pregnant, it was often easier just to exclude us all from trials. It got so bad, that by the late 1990s, the FDA realized regulations and more for pregnant women - and women generally - had to change. The NIH (National Institutes of Health) took action too. And so few drugs had enough safety and efficacy information for children that, even in official circles, children were being called "therapeutic orphans."  Action began on that, too. There is still a long way to go. But this month there was a sign that

Not a word was spoken (but many were learned)

Video is often used in the EFL classroom for listening comprehension activities, facilitating discussions and, of course, language work. But how can you exploit silent films without any language in them? Since developing learners' linguistic resources should be our primary goal (well, at least the blogger behind the blog thinks so), here are four suggestions on how language (grammar and vocabulary) can be generated from silent clips. Split-viewing Split-viewing is an information gap activity where the class is split into groups with one group facing the screen and the other with their back to the screen. The ones facing the screen than report on what they have seen - this can be done WHILE as well as AFTER they watch. Alternatively, students who are not watching (the ones sitting with their backs to the screen) can be send out of the classroom and come up with a list of the questions to ask the 'watching group'. This works particularly well with action or crime scenes with